08 December 2010

Shepherd's Pie


This was so good!  It made me think of all my mom's yummy comfort dishes!
The parsnips do not over power this, like I thought it would.  I still like the mashed potato topping, but the parsnips are good, just a different texture.  Next time I will try mashing the parsnips for the "mashed potato" texture.

Preheat oven to 450.  Serves 4-6.



Ingredients

12oz Parsnips (about 4-5)
1 tsp Onion Salt
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
2 slices Bacon
8oz Zucchini (about 2 small)
3oz Mushrooms (about 6-8)
1/2 Cup Celery
1/2 Cup petite Peas (frozen is fine)
1/2 Cup Onion, diced
1 lb ground Turkey (I used 1/2 lb Breast meat & 1/2 lb Thigh meat)
1 Tbsp Italian Seasoning
1 tsp Celery Salt
Pepper
1/2 Cup Cilantro, chopped
8 Egg Whites

Directions

Preheat oven to 450.  Oil a 8x8 pan.

Peal and grate the Parsnips with a cheese grater.  Mix with Onion Salt and Olive Oil.  Set aside.

Cook the bacon.  Do not throw out the bacon fat!  Use the fat to sauté the Zucchini, Mushrooms, Celery and Peas.

In a separate large pan sauté the Onion, Turkey, Italian Seasoning, Pepper (to taste) and Celery Salt.  When Turkey is cooked add the other cooked veggies to the pan and mix well.

Mix 4 Egg Whites with the Cilantro.  Then add Cilantro mixture to the Turkey veggie mix.
Mix the remaining 4 Egg Whites into the Parsnips.

Add the Turkey mixture to the oil coated dish.  Add the Parsnip mix on top.

Bake in oven for 20-25 minutes or until top is browned.  Let sit a few minutes before serving.

I served this with Applesauce.
I left the Peas out when I made this for my "People" to keep this Paleo friendly, but I love Peas in traditional Shepherd's Pie and will add them in next time.



No comments:

Post a Comment