03 December 2010

Green Goodness Soup


I love this soup!  This is the "Chicken Noodle Soup" we thought we would never live without!
And here it is, sans noodles, plus so much more!
I don't know why all Mom's don't add Kale to their Chicken Soup, it adds such a great dimension of flavor, color and texture!  Not to mention all the nutritional value!!!

Serves 6 - 8



Ingredients

3 quarts Chicken Stock, (12 Cups)
1.5 bunches Kale (I suggest the curly Kale, I think this tastes the best in soup)
5 Carrots
2 Cups Mushroom (I used button mushrooms, but go for the Shiitake if you can afford it!)
2 Chicken Breasts, shredded

Directions

Chicken:

Cook the Chicken.
*I pound the breasts and pan cook them with a little Olive Oil and Shallots, but you can cook them any way you want.  In the oven under broil is good too, and quick.  Just remember to pound them first, as this will help in even cooking with out over cooking parts.  If you don't have a meat mallet, no problem!  Use the side of your fist, it works perfectly!

When done cooking the Chicken, shred with a fork.
*You can let cool a little first if that is easier.
I find that shredding the chicken for this soup is nicer than cutting it into cubes.

Soup:

Add Chicken Stock to your pot, while reserving about 3 cups.
*I use Better Than Bouillon for my Chicken Stock.

Chop Kale while reserving 3 stocks.
*I choose the youngest stocks to reserve as they are more tender.  I do remove the vein though and add it to the next step as it is tough and I don't like them as much.

With remaining Kale (and 3 veins), blend with reserved chicken stock until completely blended.
*I do this in batches because there is a LOT of Kale and it will not all fit in your blender at once.

Add blended Kale to the Chicken Stock in the pot and heat until simmering.
Chop the Carrots and add to the pot for about 10 minutes.
Either slice or quarter your Mushrooms and add to the pot.
Cook until Carrots are soft but not mushy.
Remove from heat.
Chop reserved 3 Kale stocks and add to soup with the shredded Chicken.

I would serve this with some bread and Applesauce.  You could make Gluten Free bread or Flaxseed Focaccia to keep this Paleo and Gluten Free happy.


Thanks to Elana's Pantry for the blending of Kale idea.  It really added so much Kale goodness to this yummy staple!  Thanks to Jim, my husband, for making this soup after hard days at work and when I was sick!!

No comments:

Post a Comment