03 December 2010

Flank Steak


Flank steak is one of the leanest cut you can get!  This means optimum protein and less fat, still with lots of flavor.
I am not saying that fat in a steak is bad though, very yummy!

You can serve this with any vegetable you want!  This time I served it with Ratatouille.
This is my favorite meal to date in my job.

Serves 2.  Broil.


Ingredients

1 lb Flank Steak
Salt

Directions

Turn oven on to Broil and move rack to top position.
Place steak on baking tray, preferably on top of a Silpat Mat, and sprinkle with Salt.

Put in oven and cook about 5 minutes on either side.
*I place the steak on the far left side of tray to start, so that it is directly under the broiler coils.  Then when I flip it I put it on the far right of the tray, under the other broiler coils.  You don't have to be as picky as me, but placing in directly under the coils helps I think.

Remove from oven and let sit under tinfoil for a few minutes to rest.
This will allow the juices to stay inside the meat and not run off when you cut it.

*Use the "Meat Fist Doneness Test (MFDT)" to see how done your meat is.

After it has rested, cut with the grain of the meat and serve!
*As the chef you want to cut with the grain, so the eater will cut against it and have smaller fibers to chew and be less tough.  (As I write this my husband says he does it the opposite way, so I guess it doesn't matter as long as the end result is small chewing fibers.)

Flank Steak on Silpat before broiling



No comments:

Post a Comment